About Me

My photo
Marquette University student majoring in Public Relations w/ minor in International Affairs. I have a love for culture, languages and food. If i had all the money in the world, I would try every restaurant in every country. I also have a love for culture, hence my love for traveling. I wish I can be fluent mostly in Spanish, but I am not opposed to learning other languages too!!

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Discovery

I came into Marquette University as a business student double majoring in International Business and Marketing with a minor in Spanish. I came to this major because I wanted to have a job that travels and makes me speak another language. I have such a love for culture and language, but the business part of my major was not working for me.

At the end of freshman year, I switched to Broadcasting. I switched to this major becuase I have always had an interest in the entertainment industry. I also had an interest in Advertising, but learned that I could only major in one major communication course. So, the dean recomended that I take advertising principles and public relation principles. He said that even if I do not decide to switch my major, then those two classes would count as electives. I thought, why not? I did as he recommended.

Taking that advertising class was interesting, but I just did not feel comfortable in it. There were a lot of students that had creative ideas and were artistically talented. I could not compete with them. When I took principles on public relations, I started to really like what PR practictioners do as I learned more and more about it. I had no idea that there were so many subfields PR. Actually, I really did not know what PR was until I took that class. After taking that class, i finally decided that Public Relations is the major that can most fit me. It is funny how I took something I did not even know about as my major.

There are many things I would like to do in this field. I would like to work for some years in crisis managment, employee relations, and community relations. But my ultimate goal is to establish franchises internationally. I knew about this job because my teacher said that the reason why Starbucks has gotten to be international is because of public relation practitioners. These PR practitioners had to go to a different country and get to know thier culture and values. This is probably the ultimate job for me because like I said earlier, I love to learn about culture and languages and it would be a big bonus to have a traveling job, a job that I can enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment